Skip to main content
x

Art Faith and Culture

English

Art, Faith and Culture

A mountain that offers breathtaking views and that strongly marks the nature of Abruzzo. But the Apennines is also the mountain that, enclosing this territory, has led it to preserve in itself a huge heritage of art and culture. An ancient culture that has settled over the centuries, a search for faith that man has led for millennia, inspired by the solemnity of these landscapes. Today you can still fully experience this cultural and spiritual dimension in contact with our region, austere and therefore so authentic, among hermitages, churches, castles, villages and cities of art, on a journey of discovery that eventually leads to a more deep with oneself.

Shrines
Hermitages
Castles and Forts
Museums
Abbeys and Churches
Archaeological Sites

Travel Proposals, Itineraries & Ideas

Whether you decide to spend only a weekend or a entire holiday in our region,
here you will find ideas and suggestions on the most fascinating places, activities, villages and paths to discover the most authentic Abruzzo!

Highlights

Curiosity, suggestions, travel stories: information and news to get to know Abruzzo and the many experiences to be experienced in our wonderful region.

Abruzzo Set Cinematografico
23 Jul 18

Behind the mountains, the squares, the castles, the towns, the cities, the farmhouses that we see in some scenes of famous films can hide our land: Abruzzo.

READ MORE
Civita D'Antino
23 Jul 18

In the Valle Roveto, on a plateau overlooking the wide valley crossed by the river Liri, rises Civita D'Antino.

READ MORE
Redazione Abruzzo Tursimo
17 Feb 18

Campli, despite the appearance of a quiet town in the Teramana countryside, was a village of great traditions and of this illustrious past today preserves, jealous, splendid testim

READ MORE

Localizzazione dei Punti di interesse

Museum of the Nature Reserve "Zompo lo Schioppo" - Morino (AQ)

The Museum documents, through dioramas but also interactive games, the natural environments of the Natural Reserve in which it is located (including the beechwood, which is also the subject of an environmental conservation program) and the traditional crafts of the place.

Museum of the peasant civilization- Collelongo (Aq)

From Palazzo Botticelli, home of the Collelongo Civic Archaeological Museum, starts the museum path of the peasant civilization and of the work of the mountains of Abruzzo that winds through the narrow streets of the historic center.

Museum of the populations of Abruzzo - Pescara

Important ethnographic collection including the costumes of various towns of Abruzzo, products of artistic craftsmanship, including ceramics of Castelli, ex-voto, tools and tools for domestic use and for the work of sheep-farming.

Museum of the Sea - Pescara

The first nucleus of the Museum of the Sea was born more than fifty years ago thanks to the work of Guglielmo Pepe, then director of the Fish Market in Pescara. The collection has been gradually enriched in the conservation of a large number of fish specimens, shells, fossils and fishing gear, up to constitute a rich and interesting collection since 1949.

Museum of Wood - Arischia (aq)

Wood is an interactive museum that illustrates wood as a living material and as a raw material, and allows a virtual journey into the woods and into the reality of ancient crafts. Images, animations and handicrafts give life to a path visitors through the beech forests, among the sounds of the animals of the forest to the carpenter's workshop.

National Archaeological Museum - Campli (TE)

The National Archaeological Museum of Campli, housed in the rooms of the convent annexed to the seventeenth-century Church of St. Francis and 'was inaugurated in 1989. It is a structure of fairly small size, composed as 'four rooms, but able to provide the operator a clear and complete thanks to its approach exclusively educational.

National Museum of Abruzzo - L'Aquila

The National Museum of Abruzzo, MUNDA, awaiting the restoration of the 16th century Castle, reopened its doors at the temporary headquarters of the former slaughterhouse of L'Aquila in Borgo Rivera in front of the monumental Fountain of 99 Spouts.

Natural History Museum - Sulmona (AQ)

The Natural History Museum of Sulmona offers an entomological collection dedicated to local insects. There are about 7000 specimens, among them extraordinary in size, such as the Saturnia of the pear tree, the largest butterfly in Europe, or for mimicry phenomena, such as the Insetto stick and the oak leaf bombice.

Naturalistic and Archaeological Museum "Maurizio Locati" - Lama dei Peligni (CH)

The Museum is a laboratory where visitors are invited to interact and touch with their own hands the naturalistic and archaeological finds that tell the history of the Majella territory and highlight its floro-faunal characteristics.

Naturalistic Museum "Nicola De Leone" - Penne (PE)

The Regional Nature Reserve of Lake Penne houses a nature museum on the environmental values of the protected area and the Vestino territory.

Necropoli Di Fossa- (AQ)

Unearthed in the early nineties and the subject of archaeological investigations since 1992, the Necropoli di Fossa is a unique and one of the best preserved examples of protohistoric Abruzzo.

Necropoli Picena di Campovalano - Campli (TE)

Located on a fluvial terrace of about fifty hectares, crossed by a paved road, a real "Via Sacra", the necropolis of Campovalano has been the subject of excavation since 1967. Today, over six hundred burial tombs have been brought to light which embrace a chronological period from the end of the Bronze Age to the Roman conquest.

Oil Museum - Loreto Aprutino (PE)

Situated in the ancient Amorotti Castle, it retraces the various phases of oil production, the primary wealth of the Vestino territory, showing tools and machinery from ancient times to the present day. The Museum is closed on Mondays in summer, while in winter it is open only on Saturdays and Sundays.

Oriental Museum - Tagliacozzo (AQ)

The museum was built within the sanctuary of Tagliacozzo, dating back to the sixteenth century and which preserves the icon of the thirteenth-century Madonna of the East, and houses a collection of votive offerings, Byzantine icons, sacred furnishings and coins from the Middle East.

Palazzo De' Mayo Museum- Chieti
Palazzo de' Mayo is a monumental building of extraordinary value that stands in the historic center of the city of Chieti: a sixteenth- and eighteenth-century building, a splendid example of Baroque architecture in Abruzzo, with important dimensions and considerable architectural impact in the urban and artistic reality of the city. 

Palazzo Sipari House-Museum - Pescasseroli (AQ)

Palazzo Sipari is an important building built in 1858 in the Abruzzo town of Pescasseroli. The palace takes its name from the Sipari family, an important political family from Abruzzo that emerged after the unification of Italy.

Peltuinum - Prata d'Ansidonia (AQ)

The city of Peltuinum, founded between the first century BC and the first century AD in the territory inhabited by the people of Vestini, extends over a plateau raised above the plateau of Navelli emerging between the valley of Aterno and that of Tirino, natural roads of crossing of the Abruzzese Apennines. The city had a role, both political and economic, strategic in the control of commercial

Picture Gallery "Cascella" - Ortona (CH)

The Picture Gallery is located in the 16th century Palazzo Farnese and houses works by Michele Cascella (1892-1989), a native of Ortona, his brother Thomas (1890-1968) and his father Basil (1860-1950). Michele Cascella has one of the most important collections (53 works) documenting more than eighty years of activity of the painter

Pig Museum - Carpineto Sinello (ch)

The Ducal Castle of Carpineto Sinello houses the Pig Museum, unique in its kind, which aims to preserve and enhance the agro-food, cultural, socio-economic tradition that over the centuries has developed around the breeding of the pig.

Pinacoteca Civica - Teramo

The Pinacoteca Civica is housed in a neoclassical building located in the Villa Comunale. Already the seat of the Provincial Economic Society, it was then purchased by the Municipality and in 1930 adapted to house a Museum. Rebuilt in 1958 and 1979, it was finally renovated in 1996.

Pinacoteca Civica - Vasto (CH)

The historic Palazzo d'Avalos houses, in addition to the Museum, also the Municipal Picture Gallery. On the second floor, the large rooms of the Marchesale apartment house the works of Filippo, Nicola, Francesco Paolo and Giuseppe Palizzi.

Pinacoteca Comunale - Sulmona (AQ)

The creation of the Pinacoteca Comunale di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea is closely linked to the history of the "Premio di Arte Contemporanea città di Sulmona", founded thirty years ago with the establishment of the Circolo d'Arte e Cultura "Il Quadrivio".

Pinacoteca Patiniana - Castel di Sangro (AQ)

It is a significant set of paintings fired by Theophilus Patini to form the core of the Municipal Art Gallery, which, - thanks to the insights and commitment lavished in the late eighties by the Mayor Ing. Syro Piero Gargano and the decisive operations conducted with ancient passion for art by the Mayor Adv.

Rocca Calascio - Calascio (AQ)

La Rocca, at the height of a very high peak (1500 m above sea level), has a regular plant with large towers with a circular plan and a male at the center. Still retains sharp walls and even a rare original crenellation.

Roman Amphitheater - Teramo

Built at the beginning of the 2nd century AD and, according to the construction technique, it can be placed between the Trajan and the Hadrianic age. Until 1926, the amphitheater of Interamnia, remembered by local scholars since the Renaissance, was traditionally identified with the remains of the nearby theater. The few surviving structures of the amphitheater were partially recognized and exp

Santuario Beato Nunzio Sulprizio - Pescosansonesco (PE)

On the slopes of Mount Picca there is the charming village of Pescosansonesco, where the Sanctuary dedicated to the Blessed Nunzio was built, a boy born of a humble family in 1817; Being an orphan, he was raised by his grandmother, then by an uncle, despite being well built, led him to the hard work as a blacksmith.

Santuario Del Miracolo Eucaristico - Lanciano (CH)

The Church of San Francesco, in the center of Lanciano, was built in 1258 in the Burgundian-Romanesque style on the site of the Church of San Legonziano (VII / VIII century); it was rebuilt in baroque style around the middle of the 18th century.

Santuario del Volto Santo - Manoppello (PE)

Inside the Shrine of Manoppello is enclosed, in a case, what is recognized as the true Face of Jesus Christ. A legend tells that in 1506 a pilgrim presented himself to the physicist Giacomo Antonio Leonelli and gave him the precious gift.

Santuario della Madonna d'Appari - Paganica (AQ)

It is situated on the path that connects the two villages of Paganica and Camarda, on the road that from L'Aquila goes up to the Gran Sasso, in a suggestive position inside a gorge.

Santuario della Madonna dei Miracoli - Casalbordino (CH)

The Sanctuary stands on the site of the miraculous apparition of the Virgin. Legend has it that on 11 June 1576 a farmer from Pollutri, reciting the rosary, went to his camp to see the damage of a violent hailstorm. Hearing the sound of the bell announcing Mass, he knelt to pray.

Santuario della Madonna dell'Elcina - Abbateggio (PE)

The Sanctuary of the Madonna dell' Elcina is located on a rocky hill, a short distance from the old town centre. The local stone church, in its present form, is recently built but of ancient foundation and has a remarkable historical, artistic and religious value for the whole valley.

Santuario di Maria Santissima della Libera - Pratola Peligna (AQ)

All the mountainous and rural Abruzzo refers to his devotion to the Madonna della Libera, Protector of the Peligna Valley, whose cult developed around an image of the Virgin miraculously found in 1456 and attributed to the liberation of the territory from the plague.

Santuario di Maria Santissima Incoronata - Vasto (CH)

The church, originally dedicated to San Martino, was built in 1738; subsequently, following a miraculous event that ended a catastrophic drought, it was consecrated to the Crowned Madonna. In 1860 it was enlarged and the Capuchin monastery was annexed.

Santuario di San Camillo De Lellis - Bucchianico (CH)

The Sanctuary of San Camillo is located in the city centre, next to the convent he built. Among the undisputed protagonists of the Abruzzo spirituality, he was the founder of the Order of Clerics Regular Ministers of the Sick and is patron of the sick, hospitals, doctors and health workers.

Santuario di San Domenico - Cocullo (AQ)

In the lower part of the village of Cocullo stands the famous Sanctuary of San Domenico, rebuilt between the late nineteenth and early twentieth century on the site of an older church, which was built in the seventeenth century. It has a rectangular plan with a beautiful Renaissance portal reassembled on its side.

Santuario di San Gabriele dell'Addolorata - Isola del Gran Sasso (TE)

The foundation of the Convent according to the legend would be linked to the presence of St. Francis; for centuries it was entrusted to the conventuals who had to abandon it after the suppression of religious orders by the French. In 1847 it was entrusted to the Passionist fathers.

Santuario Madonna delle Grazie - Monteodorisio (CH)

Located at the entrance of the village, it occupies the area where there was a sixteenth-century chapel dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie. Its construction began in 1886 following a prodigious event: during the restoration of the church, a crack had begun to gush from the water that had inexplicably healed a sick child.

Santuario Madonna dello Splendore - Giulianova (TE)

The Sanctuary of the Madonna of Splendour was built on the spot where the Virgin, on April 22, 1550, appeared in a luminous cloud to a peasant named Bertoldino. Also on the hill came a miraculous spring, still alive.

Santuario Romitorio di Maria Ss della Portella - Rivisondoli (AQ)

The Sanctuary preserves a miraculous image of the Madonna and Child (stone bas-relief). It was erected at the end of the 16th century in the place where, according to tradition, the effigy of the Virgin, transported from distant lands, became so heavy that it could no longer be removed.

Santuario Santa Maria dei Lumi - Civitella del Tronto (TE)

The sanctuary and the convent, built in 1466, stand on a hill in front of the village, a short distance from the road that leads to the center of Civitella. Their foundation is attributed to San Giacomo della Marca; their history is linked to that of the village, not only for religious and cultural aspects, but also for civil and military ones.

Sulmona - Civic Museum

Founded by the historian Antonio De Nino at the end of the 800 and subsequently enhanced, the Museum is located inside the Palazzo della SS.

The Hague of Museums - Museum Pole - Avezzano (AQ)

In the premises of the former Municipal Slaughterhouse of Avezzano was established the first Municipal Museum Pole of the city that currently includes: "The Words of Stone" and the Museum of the Drying of the Fucino "The Water Thread", first fundamental pieces of the extensive project of "The Hague of Museums" which represents

The Museum "Birthplace of Gabriele d'Annunzio'' - Pescara

The Museum and Documentation Centre of the Franciscan Order in Abruzzo and Molise (Order of Friars Minor Conventual) is located in the fortress of the Castle of Monteodorisio (intended as an ancient village surrounded by walls) dating back to the 11th century. rebuilt in the fifteenth century. and adapted to stately residence in the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries.

Transhumance and Costume Museum - Sulmona (AQ)

The Abruzzese - Molise and Transhumance and Costume Museum preserves numerous testimonies of Abruzzo popular culture, with particular attention to traditional clothing. In fact, various 19th century female dresses are on display, complete with accessories from Scanno, Sulmona, Pettorano, Introdacqua, etc.

Transhumance Museum - Villetta Barrea (AQ)

The Museum is a place of study and documentation on the phenomenon of transhumant sheep-farming, a key sector of the local economy and of the whole of Abruzzo until the recent past. Interesting explanatory panels illustrate synthetically, but with great didactic effectiveness, the various historical, social and cultural aspects and the systems of life and work.

University Museum of Chieti

The first nucleus of the exhibition was inaugurated at the "G. d'Annunzio" University in 1994 at Palazzo De Pasquale. Currently, the University Museum, formerly the Museum of the History of Biomedical Sciences, is located in the Palazzo "Arnaldo Mussolini", in the historical centre. In its specificity, it contributes to characterize the "G.

Upper Aventine Geopaleontology Museum - Palena (CH)

The Museum, the only one of its kind in Abruzzo, is housed in the Ducal Castle of Palena, a recently restored building dating back to the 11th century. It consists of three sections: the Knowledge Room, the Aventine Room, the Palena Room.

Visitor center of the National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise - Pescasseroli (AQ)

Opened in 1969, owned by the Park Authority, it is a structure of information, education and environmental interpretation that exhibits materials and documents related to the Abruzzo fauna, geological structure of the territory, tradition. The Visitor Centre includes:

Water Museum - Villetta Barrea (aq)

"The blue veins of the Earth", with this name, Villetta Barrea and the Ente Parco Nazionale D'Abruzzo, wanted to emphasize the importance of water by creating a museum. The structure is equipped with 12 panels that exhaustively explain both the water system of the Park and the typical aquatic flora and fauna.

Wolf Museum - Arsita (te)

The Wolf Museum in Arsita is an information and awareness-raising space aimed above all at the younger generation. Thanks to effective explanatory panels and multimedia tools, the Museum allows the visitor to discover new and surprising aspects of): The Wolf Museum in Arsita is a space for information and awareness aimed especially at the younger generation.

Wool Museum - Scanno (AQ)

Founded in 1993 by a group of volunteers, it is located in the historic centre of the town in a building dating back to 1901, originally intended as a municipal abattoir. It was called the Wool Museum because wool was, between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, a source of primary wealth for this as for other towns in mountain Abruzzo.