The Teramo hills and the Romanesque churches
From Giulianova to Roseto passing through the hills touching the ancient Hatria, a city dear to the Romans, and San Clemente al Vomano, in a quite varied landscape.
The starting point is Giulianova, the center of the Abruzzi coast divided into two parts: the historical one collected on a hill and the seaside one developed in the second half of the 20th century. Giulianova was a Roman colony founded in 290 BC. at the mouth of the river Tordino with the name Castrum Novum. There are many testimonies of the historical and cultural events that have characterized the life of this town, today found both in religious and civil art expressions. We remember the "Il Bianco" Tower, the church of Santa Maria a Mare, of origin perhaps prior to the 12th century, the sanctuary of the "Madonna dello Splendore", the Church of Sant'Antonio, the Chapel of the Bartolomei. Entering the hinterland among hills covered with vineyards, pines and olive trees you reach Morro D'Oro perched on a hill. A short visit to see the church of San Salvatore, in the oldest part, built in the fourteenth century and then remodeled. Nearby, among vineyards and olive trees, there is the beautiful and imposing abbey of Santa Maria di Propezzano whose origins date back to 715, the whole complex was however several times retouched, remodeled and enlarged, until 1285, the year in which they were completed the work. Inside Renaissance frescoes and seventeenth-century altars. With a slight detour we reach San Clemente al Vomano with its monastery founded in the ninth century and rebuilt around the XII known for its rich ciborium, one of the oldest in Abruzzo. Returning to the coast, on a spur surrounded by oaks and olive trees, you will find Atri, the ancient Hatria, home of the Roman emperor Hadrian, suggestive for its historic center, the beautiful churches, and the panoramic views of the sea and the ravines. Atri presents numerous monuments that attest its history over the centuries. The Cathedral of S. Maria Assunta, of the late twelfth century, is one of the most famous monuments of Abruzzo and houses a cycle of frescoes painted from 1450 onwards. The adjoining museum preserves precious relics and the Cloister of the 13th century is also splendid; the church of Santa Reparata, combined with the southern side of the Cathedral, is rich in Baroque evidence. The other churches are: Sant'Agostino, S. Andrea, San Giovanni Battista, San Francesco, San Nicola, Santa Chiara and Santo Spirito. Also worthy of mention is the Palazzo Ducale degli Acquaviva, the current municipal seat, dating back to the first half of the fourteenth century, the Municipal Theater, the Archaeological Museum and the Ethnographic Civic Museum. In the area just south of the country the evocative landscape of the gullies, formations derived from the erosion of clayey lands by the rainwater, today a nature reserve, captures the attention. Then returning to the beaches, the first seaside resort we meet is Silvi, with its wide beach, also divided into Silvi Alta and Silvi Marina, and to follow Pineto, modern center that takes its name from the beautiful pine forest that characterizes the coast.
Along the coast there is the Torre di Cerrano, built around the sixteenth century and today the site of a research laboratory on sea and river waters. After a few kilometers you reach Roseto degli Abruzzi, a seaside town with a wide beach, promenade and tourist port, counted among the seven pearls of the "garden coast" of Abruzzo, known to be among the most beautiful and clean beaches of the Adriatic, with wide beaches of soft sand.
Practical in: Autumn Spring Summer.
Praticabile in: Autunno Primavera Estate